Puppet Tips&Tricks: Variable variables

Sometimes you want to use variable variables, for instance when you want to iterate over all the ipaddress_* facts that facter found. Using something like ${ipaddress_$if} doesn’t work, though. Inline_template to the rescue! Thanks to Volcane on IRC, this is a possible solution:

$ifs = split($interfaces,",")

define do_this {
	$mule = "ipaddress_${name}"
	$donkey = inline_template("<%= scope.lookupvar(mule) %>")

notify { "Found interface $donkey":; }
}

do_this { $ifs:; }

This will output:

$ sudo puppet net.pp
notice: Found interface 172.29.121.22
notice: //Do_this[eth0]/Notify[Found interface 172.29.121.22]/message: defined 'message' as 'Found interface 172.29.121.22'
notice: Found interface 213.207.83.56
notice: //Do_this[eth1]/Notify[Found interface 213.207.83.56]/message: defined 'message' as 'Found interface 213.207.83.56'

Tags: , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Puppet Tips&Tricks: Variable variables”

1. […] it was still annoying nonetheless so I was pleasantly surprised when a friend pointed me towards this blog entry which offered a possible solution, you use Puppets inline_template function to evaluate a small ERB […]

2. Stefan says:

Thanks a lot! I spent hours to try to find the right syntax. Love the “Google God” which brought me to your really helpful blog.

3. James Legg says:

Thanks for this, feel like over two years after you wrote this something better should be available in puppet, but as of yet I haven’t found it.

4. rdark says:

There’s also the ‘getvar’ function as part of stdlib that can do the same thing, but tidier – $newvar = getvar(“ipaddress_${name}”)

5. cognoscentis says:

thank you, thank you, thank you!

6. Thomas says:

All it does for me is printing out the internface name, but not the IP address. Do I miss anything?

Notice: ipaddress_ens192
    Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Node[localhost]/Do_this[ens192]/Notify[ipaddress_ens192]/message: defined ‘message’ as ‘ipaddress_ens192’
    Notice: ipaddress_ens224
    Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Node[localhost]/Do_this[ens224]/Notify[ipaddress_ens224]/message: defined ‘message’ as ‘ipaddress_ens224’

7. Kumina bv says:

It works for us with Puppet 3.8.7, although you should run ‘puppet apply net.pp’. That is the only Puppet version we use at the moment so I can’t test it on a different one.